A few days ago, I had the opportunity to present the latest data related to international student mobility. In 2020, nearly 6.3 million students were in mobility worldwide compared to 4,8 million in 2015, an increase of 32%.
1) European countries host the biggest share of mobile students: almost 40% of global mobile students (degree seeking) are studying in an European country.
2) English-speaking countries (usa , UK, Australia and Canada) remain the most attractive student destinations overall, with four countries receiving 40% if all internationally mobile students
3) in Europe, Germany is the top EU destination and the 4th country in terms of international student mobility. A 61% increase between 2015-2020! France is the 2nd EU country in terms of student mobility attractiveness.
4) Most of countries in #Asia have seen a significant increase in the number of students: China (+ 83%, 2015-2020), South-Korea (+105%, 2015-2020)
5) Chinese and Indian students are still by far the most likely to study abroad. Although India still sends far fewer mobile students than China, the country has a much greater increase over the period 2015-2020. Other Asian countries such as Nepal (+135%) and Vietnam (+95%). Vietnam become the 3rd country of origin for mobile students in 2020.